Kevin M. Yopp
Kevin M. Yopp has extensive experience in state and federal courts, including trials, appeals, mediations, and arbitrations. Examples of Kevin’s representations include:
- Lead trial counsel for entrepreneurs in disputes over asset purchases. Obtained a $14.6 million jury verdict from a unanimous federal jury, who needed less than two hours to deliberate before finding for Kevin’s client.
- Successfully opposing a freeze-out merger by commencing a lawsuit against the company and controlling shareholders in Los Angeles (while defending against a preemptive lawsuit filed by the company in the Delaware Court of Chancery). Obtained an extremely favorable settlement for Kevin’s client (the company co-founder) of nearly 100x the offered merger consideration.
- Defending an insurance broker in multiple cases involving claims ranging from discrimination to fraud. Successfully obtained dismissal of all causes of action and all cases, including obtaining terminating sanctions to dispose of the final case.
- Representing industry-leading hedge funds as plaintiffs to recover amounts owed from the early redemption of bonds.
- Lead counsel in state and federal court litigation involving multimillion-dollar commercial real estate transactions and busted deals.
- Lead counsel in arbitration involving claims against the client by a former executive. Negotiated an extremely favorable settlement that was a fraction of estimated defense costs.
- Representing shareholders in derivative suits against companies. (Also representing companies and executives in securities fraud and shareholder litigation against them.)
- Defending a real estate developer in a case alleging multiple causes of action. Successfully had all claims thrown out on demurrer except for a single negligence claim. Then obtained a walk-away settlement after taking one deposition.
- Defending a real estate developer in a breach of contract and fraud case involving a multimillion-dollar condominium development.
- Defending a business owner in litigation over rights to a line of skin care products. Negotiated a walk-away settlement.
- Lead counsel in federal court litigation involving a media company in the Southern District of New York. Brought a motion to transfer venue from New York to Los Angeles, which the federal judge granted, effectively ending the case.
- Brought in to represent a large, publicly-traded defense contractor in an appeal after another firm unsuccessfully tried the case to adverse judgment, including a multimillion-dollar punitive damage award against the client. Obtained a favorable settlement of the matter.
- Defending an entertainment company in intellectual property disputes surrounding the rights to a highly successful line of dolls and related products.
- Representing property owners in cases against local governments, including unlawful takings claims and rent control. (Also representing property owners in view disputes, noise complaints, and residential real estate litigation.)
- Representing a high school basketball player pro bono in CIF athletic eligibility hearings.
J.D. 2001, University of Virginia School of Law
B.A. magna cum laude 1998, University of California, Irvine
U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2001
U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2005
U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2009
U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2021
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2001
Honors and Awards:
Selected to 2020 & 2021 Super Lawyers® in General Litigation; part of Thomson Reuters.
Rising Star in General Litigation, Southern California Super Lawyers; selected by Law & Politics Media, Inc.
American Lawyer Litigation Department of the Year (while at O’Melveny & Myers, LLP).